Sunday, July 09, 2006

What Is Going On?

I was having dinner tonight with my housemates and also a friend. Suddenly, on TV there was another Talent Reality Show on. There was one of these contestants that was introducing herself. Out of no where, I jokingly made a remark on the fact that she is not working. Then a friend said to me that not everyone is as fortunate as I am. Do not get me wrong. I am not trying to make a defensive remark on my statement. However, it just got me thinking what is happening in Malaysia nowadays.
I totally agree with him. But the point that I am trying to make is:
Are They Really Entering This Reality Show To Really Pursue Their Dream? Or Is It Just An Easy Way To Be Rich And Famous?
For me, Malaysia does not really need a one hit wonder in the music industry. What we want is another Siti Nurhaliza. Do not get me wrong again. Although I am a die hard fan of Siti Nurhaliza, I am not here to promote her. What I meant by that statement is that, we need an artiste which has good qualities and is going to stay long in this business. If that is the kind of artistes that this reality show is producing then by all means go ahead. However, that is not the case.
What the reality shows are currently producing is flavour of the month. After the show has ended, then we can observe that the name of those contestants started to fade. Often we can observe that some of them are not able to sing but due to some qualities that they possess, they were selected. Although this is just an individual opinion, but due to so called the power is in your hands, those people are selected. This is because the producers know that they will be voted.
That is just one side of the story. The other side is really saddening. The impact this shows has on society. People are to obsess with the contestants that they some time forgot about manners. In addition to that, it give the impression to little kids that this is the path that I am going to take in the future. The little boys and girls know better the names of the contestants than the five principles of Rukun Negara.
God, what has happened to Malaysia's society? Since when, we started to dream about being in this shows rather than becoming the next Prime Minister, Scientists, Engineers, etc? What happen to dream BIG?
There is nothing wrong if you wanted to become a singer. But like I say earlier, the quality part is quite questionable. Not everything from the west is not good. Take for example most of the artistes in The States. They write their own songs and their songs have message to be delivered.
Everything is about the choices that we made in life. I only wish that we could dream BIG again Malaysia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home