Thursday, July 13, 2006

Where The Term "Shit Happens" Come Into Place

Yesterday was the longest day of my life. It kind of sounding like one of those TV shows. Now I remember. It sounded like the TV show "24". Well back to the main story.
While my housemate and I were on our way to work, we never thought that this could happen to us. We were driving using the same route that we always use and suddenly I heard a bursting sound and both of us suspected something wrong with the left-back tyre. Our suspicion was correct that there was something wrong with the tyre. But to my surprise, the tyre was not burst but "shredded-like". My explanation maybe not that accurate but you could see it for yourself.
It was totally unexpected. This is because the tyre was in good condition.
So we decided to call one of our friends that we know has the same tyre size. He just woke up and told us to wait for him. He would be there as soon as possible. So we waited at the side of the road. While waiting for help, I was sitting at the front seat while facing the trees in front of me. Suddenly my eyes caught a glimpse of paper at the road side and decided to have a look. Ironically, it was a business card of a garage with a towing car facility. That kind of took the edginess of waiting for reinforcement.
Before I go further, let me explain on a place like Bintulu. Bintulu is not that big of a town. Basically if you go out to eat, the probability of you meeting someone you know is damn high. In addition to that, there is only a few route that could be taken in order to go to work. The road that I usually take is one of the famous route.
So back to the story, still waiting for help (he just woke up and have not taken his bath yet) what we could do is just watch the cars passed by. To my surprise, there is only two cars that stopped. The first is a lady friend that stopped just to see whether we need help and we told her that help is on its way. The next car is a total stranger that is willing to give us his spare tyre. That really caught me of guard. I never thought that people could be that generous. However, we declined the offer and said that help is on its way. In addition two people called to see whether we required their help.
What really shocked me was that there were people from my work place and some of those I know pretty damn well did not stop to see whether we could use their help? Are we becoming a society that does not care what happen to people around us? What annoying is that when we reached to the office, my friend was asked what happened and when my friend asked how did they know, they said that they saw us at the side of the road. I am really speechless. I just did not what to say.
All in all everything is fine now and people please be more alert on what is going on around you. You will never know when someone needs a helping hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home